Thursday, March 27, 2008

Walking

I am preparing for a marathon.

Jessica, my daughter, has decided to whip me into shape. She is doing so by helping me to prepare for the marathon in San Diego on the 1st of June. We started out with easy walks of 1, 2 and 3 miles, and have graduated to one big walk each week. The last big walk for us was 16 miles, or more than half of the marathon distance. Note to those who might follow in our foot steps: Don't map out the first eight miles all up hill.

The 3, 4, and 5 mile walks we take several times each week are easy now. We did one of our 4 mile walks the other day in 58 minutes, which is just what we need to be able to do for the marathon as walkers.

Pepper, my dog, has taken the long walks with us. She has managed to keep up, and at times, reminds me that I'm slowing down. We may have hit the point where she finally tires out, but being as I was probably in worse shape than she was after the 16 mile journey, I have my doubts. She was probably just trying not to make me feel bad about collapsing on the floor upon entering the apartment.

When we started this endeavor I was 200 pounds (roughly 40 to 50 pounds over weight) and happily sedentary. Now I have lost 13 pounds, and can walk 5 or 6 miles without being pooped. The big idea here is to make a life change, to do something that will help improve my health and chances of growing older, and while doing it, I get to spend time with Jessica, which is worth the price of admission all by itself.

No comments: